And for that the dream was doubled to Pharaoh twice; it is because the thing is established by God, and God will shortly bring it to pass. Gen. 41:32
For God does speak—now one way, now another—though man may not perceive it. In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falls on men as they slumber in their beds, he may speak in their ears and terrify them with warnings, to turn man from wrongdoing and keep him from pride, to preserve his soul from the pit, his life from perishing by the sword. Job 33:14-17

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Jesus Is At the Top of Our Mountain of Grief

Several years ago, in '94 and '95, I went through some unexpected life-changes. Our children were 5 1/2 and 4 when my then-husband and I divorced.

There was a period of about 2 1/2 to 3 years leading up to the divorce that I was miserable. (I had a cheating husband that just would not stop.)  I had no real support group; no one in  my family or friends that 'gave me a shoulder to cry on', so to speak. For 2 years afterward, I slept with my Bible cuddled to me like a teddy bear. For those years, God looked out for me, and I wasn't even in a 'good' relationship with Him. But, one night, in a dream, He showed me how much He cared.

In my dream, my two little girls, my mother and I were climbing up the side of a rock cliff. Each one of us had a rope anchored at the top. We each held onto our rope, grasping hand over hand, walking up the rock.

I reached the top before the others. As soon as I was on flat ground, I turned loose of the rope and looked up. Standing just a few feet away was Jesus. He was very tall-about 15 to 16 feet. I ran the few steps between us and jumped into His arms, throwing my arms around His neck. I clung to Him.

I woke up at this point. Even though it has been about 17 years since I had the dream, thinking about it makes me feel just as loved by Him now as it made me feel then.

The symbolism speaks volumes. I had been climbing a mountain of misery, shame and humiliation for the five years previous. But, Jesus was waiting at the top to tell me that He would be there to help me out from then on.

Looking back, I can now see a deeper meaning behind the dream than I could see at the time. It was March of '95, a month before my divorce was final, that I turned my life completely over to Him. In the dream, He was just welcoming me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment